- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, especially before eating or touching your face and after you use the bathroom
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs spread this way
- Clean and disinfect shared surfaces and objects
- Don’t share personal items with others (towels, clothes, bedding)
- Get your flu shot – an annual flu shot is recommended for everyone six months and older
- Get your COVID-19 vaccine – everyone six months and older can get an updated COVID-19 vaccine
- Because infants and older adults are more likely to develop severe RSV and need hospitalization, the CDC recommends that:
- All infants younger than eight months should get one dose of monoclonal antibody treatment
- Young children (eight–19 months old) who are at increased risk for severe RSV disease should get one dose of monoclonal antibody treatment
- Pregnant people should get a maternal RSV vaccine during weeks 32 through 36 of pregnancy
- Adults ages 60 and over should talk to their health care provider about whether getting the RSV vaccine is right for them at this time
- There is no vaccine to prevent mycoplasma pneumoniae infections—good hand hygiene and cough etiquette are your best tools for preventing infection.
- Stay up to date on all your vaccines—see what vaccines you may be due for and talk to your health care provider about catching up.
What to Do If You Get Sick
- If you are showing symptoms like a fever, cough, sore throat, rash, etc. stay home — even if you’re not sure that you have a virus
- Use the Gia® by MVP Mobile App - Gia providers can help diagnose and treat common illnesses like the flu, COVID-19, RSV, and more
- If you do come down with a respiratory virus or bacterial infection, follow the CDC guidelines to help manage and reduce the severity of your illness:
Access Members-Only Wellness Information
You may have personalized preventive care recommendations in your Member Online Account. Log into your account to view your recommendations, as well as available health and wellness benefits and details.
Find the latest information on more than 6,000 health topics. Use our interactive decision tool, check symptoms, or research medications.